This recipe is only 547 calories and 13 grams of fat compared to Applebee's Crispy Orange Chicken 1,500 calories and 58 grams of fat!!!!
- 3/4 cup(s) orange juice
- 1/4 cup(s) honey
- 2 tablespoon(s) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) hot red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 2 cup(s) (6 ounces) broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 cup(s) (4 ounces) sugar snap peas
- 1 cup(s) (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch(es) (small) baby bok choy
- 1 can(s) (5-ounce) water chestnuts, drained (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup(s) shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced, toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup(s) crispy Chinese egg noodles
- Combine sauce ingredients.
- In a pie plate, combine flour and breadcrumbs. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites. Toss chicken pieces in egg whites, then in flour mixture to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet or a wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until browned all over; remove from skillet.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add garlic and all vegetables except carrots and stir-fry about 3 minutes. Add carrots and stir-fry 30 seconds. Pour sauce into skillet and stir-fry until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Add chicken back to skillet and stir-fry 1 minute, until chicken and vegetables are coated with sauce. Remove from heat; sprinkle with almonds and noodles. Serve with steamed rice (3/4 cup cooked rice per serving)