Tuesday, January 17, 2012
- 3/4 cup instant grits
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1/2 - 1lemon, plus wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, if using, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.
1 (2 pound) boneless pork tenderloin (or regular pork loin)
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Combine sage, salt, pepper and garlic. Rub over roast. Place in slow cooker with 1/2 cup water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. About 1 hour before roast is done, combine ingredients for glaze in small sauce pan. Heat and stir until mixture thickens. Brush roast with glaze 2 or 3 times during the last hour of cooking. Serve with remaining glaze on the side.
- Place chopped tomatoes, avocados, cucumber in a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, then lightly mix with tongs.
- Add fresh ground black pepper on top, and serve. Let me know if you are going to try it! It's super easy, and OH SO HEALTHY!
Yield: 6 servings
For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
¾ tsp. kosher salt
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
For the black bean salsa:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup diced red bell pepper
2 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
½ ripe mango, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 green onion, chopped
1 tbsp. jalapeño, finely minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 cob corn, roasted, or ½ cup canned corn
1 tsp. ground cumin
6 large whole wheat tortillas or wraps
2 roasted chicken breasts, diced or shredded*
4-5 cups baby spinach leaves