Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers with Quinoa



The pic is not that great sorry. I made this last night and it's now our favorite stuffed pepper recipe. I love that the peppers are cut in half. A lot easier to eat. This is a simple, healthy meal. My kids loved it, woo hoo!

This recipe was adapted from I Heart Nap Time.

Ingredients:

6 red bell peppers, half length wise with ribs removed
1/2 cup quinoa 
1 pound of ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1-14oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1-4 oz can of diced green chilies
1-14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 TBS taco seasoning (I didn't have any so I added cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste)
Olive oil
1 cup mozzerella (I used colby jack)

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add ground beef. Cook until brown. Drain grease.

In a large saucepan add black beans, tomatoes, green chilies, water, quinoa, and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil reduce to a medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is done.

Heat oven to 375. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Spoon filling into peppers cover with foil. Cook for 20 minutes. Top peppers with cheese, cover with foil and then cook for another 20 minutes.

Enjoy

No comments: