2 tbls fresh picked basil, julienne or dried basil or pesto mix
3-4 tbls extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt to taste
1. Slice the eggplants. Lay out on a plate and salt each piece to draw out moisture from the vegetable. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Then pat each eggplant dry.
3. In a cast iron skillet or pan, heat about a 1/2″ of olive oil.
4. Dip eggplant in beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs. Fry each piece in the olive oil until browned on both sides. Drain on a paper towel on a dish. Work in batches and continue this process until all of your eggplant slices have been breaded and fried.
5. Once your eggplant has been fried, in a separate pan, heat 3-4 tbls of extra virgin olive oil. Saute the fresh cut tomatoes, basil, onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until the tomato has warmed through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Lay out the eggplant slices on a serving platter topped with the tomato blend and sprinkled with feta.